Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dragonslayer

Let's talk about dragons. Yes, the great beasts that show up to wreak havoc on unsuspecting villages and kidnap damsels and end up getting slayed by the knight in shining armor.

I myself have a childish love of dragons. The basis for starting The Stupid Book was I wanted to write a story without cliched dragons in it. Whether or not I succeeded in that is for my hopeful future readers to decide. But my dragons are cool.

Actually, today I am more interested in the metaphoric dragons. The dragon that needs to be slayed by the knight or the peasant farmer, depending on your view of yourself.

See, we all have dragons. A project at work, a really frickin' busy day, an essay on the Puritans (yes it is as bad as it sounds), some class called Differential Equations, or midterms. (Can you tell school's been dominating my brain recently?) You get the idea. Metaphoric dragons are the things that are difficult and require time and energy to get through. Usually, it isn't fun.

National Novel Writing Month is starting in fifteen days. Writing 50,000 words in 30 days used to scare me. Then I wrote The Stupid Book over the summer and thought I was better than that. But November is different. November has school. And essays. And studying. And a set amount of time I am required to do things other than write. So I am beginning to realize that 50,000 words in 30 days is still a lot. Enough to be considered a dragon.

But I love dragons. I have not written a story that makes dragons the villains. So I am looking at NaNo in that respect. I don't have to slay the dragon.

I have to tame it.

This is the NaNo website, if you're interested: www.nanowrimo.org

And here are dragon pictures
.
http://dragonkatet.wordpress.com/
http://amxgraphics.com/Dragons/Black.html



No comments:

Post a Comment