Tuesday, July 5, 2016

How Do I Begin

For those of you who weren't around way back when I first wrote Black & Gold, I thought I would share with you how I came up with the idea.

I feel like that's a question people want to ask me. Where do you get your ideas? How did you pick such a good one?

Well, first, I picked a lot of really bad ideas. Like, a lot. I don't think saying I picked a thousand bad ideas is hyperbole. As in, an actual 1,000. I'm not kidding. And 98% of those ideas were absolute shit.

I know. I still have them on my computer. On days when I really need to feel good about myself, I open up something I wrote in 7th/8th/9th grade and revel at how far I've come. 

But yeah, I had a lot of bad ideas. I could say I knew from the beginning that this story was going to turn into this massive saga. But I'd be lying through my teeth.

The simple answer is that every summer while I was in high school, I wrote a book in a series (that shall never see the light of day) that ended the summer before my freshman year of college. So I wanted a new story to write the summer after freshman year. This was right after I started watching Game of Thrones and I thought to myself, Why don't I write a non-cliched story with dragons in it? Then I wrote to explore the characters I came up with and three months later, I had a book.

The truth is that it's a little more complicated than that. Because I realized a few months later that this wasn't the first time I'd told Elian's story. When I was in seventh grade, I wrote a 40,000 word story about a girl who could turn into a *black* dragon. And my favorite movie when I was very young was Sleeping Beauty which features a witch who can turn into a--wait for it--black dragon.

So the seeds of the story were sown long before I watched Game of Thrones.

What about Elana then? She's the medieval love story I've tried to write for years and with her, I think I got it right. If I had to guess, I'd say I've tried to write her story four times. 

Complicated? Yes. But it makes sense. I kept writing these different characters or bits of this story until it finally came together in a way that made sense, in a way that works as a whole instead of just pieces. 

I don't know what my next idea will be after this. I have a few floating around but it's too early for me to give them serious thought. I'm still in this world, with these characters, and I'm not ready to leave yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment