Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Just Some Thoughts

"The only thing worse than writing is not writing."

I see some variation on this quote all over the place. Some of you probably scoff and roll your eyes. Writers, you chuckle, always so melodramatic. 

I admit, the sentiment can come across as an exaggeration. Sometimes, I roll my own eyes because some people love to tell everyone how important their writing is to them. I roll my eyes not because I don't believe them but because I believe that the most important things are not the things you shout from the rooftops.

For me, at least, 'not writing' is just as important. That's the time when I think things through, figure out where I want to go. 

Take the third book of the trilogy (which I realize I have to name soon...ugh. Titles suck balls.) I've had a general idea of the ending since I realized Black & Gold was going somewhere. But now I'm coming up on the time when I can write it. So I've started thinking about what else needs to happen.

Let me tell you, I am full of ideas. They bounce around my head like five year olds on a sugar high at Chucky Cheese. I want more than anything to put them on paper, turn them into an outline and plunge into the story headfirst. I know it will make me happy. I know it will be difficult and frustrating and exhilarating and sobering and exhausting. But I want it.

This is a time when I agree. I can't start writing this next story until I finish this draft of the second book (now officially re-titled as Throne & Fire). I can't start until I finish school.

To say I've never wanted anything more would be an extravagant exaggeration. But I want this even more than I want it to be summer.

So, okay, maybe that's a little melodramatic. But come on, I've got half a dozen people who won't shut up in my head. The only way to quiet them down is to write their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment