Saturday, May 7, 2016

What I'd Say

I've been sending out copies of my book in PDF form. In the email, I ask the recipient not to share the book with anyone. If someone they know wants to read it, I need to send it to them directly. Basically, don't share my book without my permission because it's unpublished and I need to keep track of it.

But really, I want to put the 'inside the jacket' blurb in that email. Only I don't know how to write it. I don't even know where to start.

So instead, let me say this:

This is a story about a world that doesn't exist. It's a world with magic and mages and dragons and princes and knights and gods and goddesses. It's a world with poverty and politics and ruthless ambition and selfless acts of kindness. It's a world seen through the eyes of two girls. One, an orphan who risks her life to save the lives of people in her city and then pays the ultimate price. The other is a noble girl who lost her fiance and wants nothing more than to sit in her tower by the sea to read all the books ever written.  

Maybe you don't like the thought of another orphan story. Elian Wilding may be an orphan but this is not the story of an orphan. It's the story of a young woman who finds her humanity slipping away, replaced by dragon scales that cover her skin. It's the story of how she learns to live with only one functioning arm and of how she learns to trust someone for the first time since her mother died.

Maybe you don't want to read another story about a girl who starts falling in love with the prince. That's fine. This prince falls in love with this noble girl because she's intelligent and stubborn and confident enough to speak her mind, regardless of the consequences. Elana Montaire is no simpering belle but a girl who learns that the world is not as simple and idealist as she believes. She discovers that first love may not be the end of all life's possibilities and that she might want to do more than lock herself away.

I can't promise you won't be frustrated with them. I can't promise you won't want to scream because they're making mistakes. I can't promise you won't be angry. I can't promise you won't cry. I can't promise what this story will mean to you.

I can't promise you much of anything. The only way you'll know the truth is if you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment