Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Prep Begins


It is October 22, 2016, and I have finally entered full-on NaNo WriMo prep mode. I have a list of character sketches, a general idea of the plot, a clear-cut setting and other random details figured out. Once I finish up here, and vacuum my apartment, I'm headed to my favorite coffee shop to knock out a chapter-by-chapter outline.

I don't always write outlines. I didn't use on for Black & Gold, I wrote a general one for Throne & Fire, and I didn't use one at all for Sky & Steel. But I always try to have some kind of outline for NaNo. Because of the time constraint, I don't have the luxury of taking a few days off to figure out how to move the plot from a difficult scene. I have to keep moving or else I end up binge writing 4,000 words a day over Thanksgiving break. 

This year, though, my NaNo prep has another feature to it. Not only do I have to outline my book, I have to plan how I am going to manage my time for the month of November so that I can hit my word count as well as keep on top of my many final projects and homework. 

Here's an example of a week in November:

Notice how 'NaNo' is written in purple pen at the top of every day? Once I complete my word count for the given day, I check it off. Same goes for my psychology homework (in red), my philosophy homework (green) and my English homework (light blue.)

It's not the easiest thing in the world to be organized and I am fully aware that my already-nonexistent social life is going to take a serious dive but NaNo, and writing in general, is a priority to me and for one month, I am okay with letting it be my biggest priority (second only to school because I'm an Honors student, I'm a senior, and I'm graduating in May.)

I'm also planning on writing one blog post every week, as a kind of update for any of you who are interested. Plus, if I complain and obsess on here instead to Matt, he'll be very happy.

If you want to know more about NaNo or are interested in joining, here's the website: www.nanowrimo.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment